.
free virus scan

How to Outlook

Apr 6, 2011

Make Windows 7 look like XP

Windows 7 is a great new operating system, but some people may not be comfortable with the new interface or the task bar (Speak to a Tech at Vtechsquad). Quickly and simply configure windows 7 to look like Windows XP.

Windows 7 is faster than Windows XP and it's got a great new user interface that most technicians love. If you don't like the efficient new interface of Windows 7, you might feel that you are out of luck. However, there are a few ways to remedy that situation.

Here's a quick guide to making Windows 7 look and act a bit more like Windows XP.

1. Changing The Taskbar : –
One of the biggest changes to the look is Windows 7 ‘Taskbar’. It looks cool to us, but it's definitely very different from the artistic of Windows XP.
 
Simple steps to changing taskbar:-
  1. Right click on the Taskbar.
  2. Then go to Properties
  3. Then go to setting
  4. Then change the setting marked Taskbar Buttons to Never Combine.
This will make the Taskbar more like as the Windows XP designs that we are all familiar with windows XP. You also need to choose "small icons", and right click each icon to "Unpin" it from the taskbar. If you want to change it back, just reverse the steps.

2. Choosing the Windows Classic Theme: –
As per my experience enabling a classic theme, you will truly get Windows XP.

Steps to choose Windows classic theme
  1. Right click on a clean area of the desktop
  2. Then go to Personalize
  3. After that under Themes, choose the 'Windows Classic theme'
  4. Then click on ‘Apply’ then ‘Ok
This makes your theme and folders look like they did in Windows XP. Folders will show up more usually, as will icons on the taskbar. There are still some big differences from Windows 7 and Windows XP, but this clears up most of the major ones.

10 comments

Casey August 7, 2011 at 3:19 PM

I swear I'm going to start hitting people if they don't stop saying that.

NO, the theme in question does NOT make your desktop look like XP, it makes it look like Win98 or Win2k.

If they included a theme (and I don't know why not) that provided XP-style frames and so on, I would be much happier.

marl November 1, 2011 at 4:43 PM

@ Casey
Lol dude. I thought the same thing.
Like WTF? Win Classic is Not Win XP

Unknown January 14, 2012 at 2:14 AM

& Windows 8 doesn't have it, either; it's gone forever. :f

Tom February 20, 2012 at 12:06 AM

I HATE win 7....

Ugg February 28, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Yep F# with something that workd for what?

Lewis Gazzard March 3, 2012 at 10:40 AM

i can email You A skin Pack FOr Any operating system just email me thegeeklewis@gmail.com and what operating system and you keep your files and you can uninstall it

Unknown April 12, 2012 at 8:14 AM

I've been a computer network engineer, tech support, you name it for 25yrs. I can't stand Vista or 7. They changed the names of most everything, for no reason, removed features, etc. I'm about as smart a person as exists. But, in XP I can setup, configure, wrestle XP to work in minutes. In 7, after spending 4hrs on the simplest task, I find out it's just not possible. I end up charging people to format their new computers and put XP on them. Someone needs to tell MS what an "Operating System" is.

- Not crabbing about your post. It's fine. :)

*** But, most replies to this question "talk down" to the one asking. Just showing their own lack of ability to grasp.

Anonymous

It's not the look of windows 7 the bothers me. It's some of the behavior in the way my windows work, that I would like to change. It's fine for home use, but at the office I want my windows to remain up on the desktop. This is especially true for my outlook mail. I don't want it minimizing to the taskbar on it's own every time I stop for a few seconds. I need to be aware of new emails constantly. It does the same with programs like Filepro or WMS. If I'm entering data I may have several small windows open and stacked below each other on the desktop. That's the way I want it. Stop to answer the phone and all is minimized to the desktop. I need to turn this feature off!!

Unknown June 7, 2012 at 6:39 AM

Wonderful blog... i like it.. keep it up..

Mozilla Firefox Help

AG September 5, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Thanks, I was looking for exactly the info i got in this post...thanks for sharing !

Post a Comment

Comprehensive Support