We always face the problem with the windows showing the message Virtual Memory low. To get rid of this message as well as making your system to go smooth and faster, use given below tips for increasing the virtual memory of the system.
According to Microsoft Windows, virtual memory is the arrangement of RAM(random access memory) and hard drive space that enables a system to process information in a method that maximizes the performance in which the system operates, In other words Virtual memory is the use of space on a hard disk drive (HDD) to simulate additional main memory.
Simple steps to increase your systems virtual memory in windows XP:-
- Click on start button.
- Then go to control panel.
- In Control Panel window click on System Icon.
- Then click on System Properties after that click on the Advanced.
- Under advanced go to Performance option then click on the Settings button.
- Then you will see the option of Virtual Memory.
- Then click on the Change button under that option.
- In Virtual Memory window you will see your drive with Paging File Size (MB) allocated, in my case it was 372-744.
- Then click on Custom Size open and enter the Initial Size as well as Maximum Size.
- Now the Initial Size and Maximum Size value should be same.
- Now click on set button then click OK.
- Then restart your computer to take effect.
* To get the best value you should multiply your system RAM with 1.5 times and put the value in the Initial Size as well as Maximum Size columns.
* If you are the user of windows 7 and facing the problem of slow performance, you can take help from my previous post Make Windows 7 Faster